Apart from dry skin, oily skin is also a common problem that we experience every day. This happens because our skin produces more oil than it should! As a result, instead of a glowing look, our skin will look oily and pimples can appear due to clogged pores. But don’t worry, we can overcome it with the help of the right skincare and routine!
In this article, Serenitree will discuss how we learn about the causes and proper ways to treat dry skin. So, make sure to stay tuned, Serenitree Squad!
What Causes Oily Skin?
Oily skin starts with excessive production of oil or sebum in the skin. Sebum itself is a natural oil produced by the sebaceous glands in our skin. Actually, the main function of sebum is to maintain moisture and protect our skin from bacteria.
However, anything in excess is not good! Excessive oil production can lead to several problems such as: pimples, blackheads and oily skin. It’s not only caused by one factor either. Here are some factors that can cause your skin to become oily:
- Genetic Factors: Our skin type has a lot to do with genetics. That’s why it varies, whether it’s dry, oily or combination. If this is the cause, it’s a bit difficult to prevent, but we can still overcome it!
- Hormonal conditions: Apart from genetics, oil production is also related to our hormonal changes. Examples include puberty, menstruation and menopause.
- Skincare ingredients are too harsh: Skincare with synthetic chemicals can trigger several reactions, including excess sebum production and acne.
- Improper diet: Consuming too much fatty or sugary foods will trigger your body’s hormone and insulin levels. As a result, your skin gets oily and acne-prone!
- Stress: This one is the root of all diseases! Stress can affect the balance of the hormone cortisol in our body. Of course, this can be a factor in all skin problems.
- Environment: Living in an area with extreme air (too hot/cold), let alone lack of skin protection, can be a factor as well.
So you see, Serenitree Squad, there is not just one source of the problem of oily skin. As long as you know the diagnosis of the cause, there is always a solution. In addition to treatment, Serenitree recommends some tips to prevent this problem! Let’s take a look together!
Serenitree’s Oily Skin Tips
The key to healthy skin is overall body health. Therefore, Serenitree’s tips will not be far from good habits, lifestyle and care routine. Here’s how you can avoid oily skin:
- Always wash your face every morning, noon and night
If you wash your face regularly with warm water and a gentle facial cleanser, all the oil, dirt and bacteria buildup will be gone! Remember to use warm water, not too hot water. Not only will it trigger even more oil production, it can also burn your skin! Also make sure to wash your face every time you sweat or after exercising.
- Choosing skincare with the label “oil free” and “noncomedogenic”
Of course, the right skincare can help us combat oily skin. Make sure to choose skincare that is labeled as “oil free” and “noncomedogenic”.
- Use a gentle facial cleanser/without SLS and Parabens
People with oily skin must wash their face every day (3 times a day). But don’t forget to choose a gentle cleanser without SLS or parabens.
- Routinely use moisturizer
Even though your skin type is oily, moisturizing is a must! As long as you use a moisturizer that is fast absorbing and not heavy.
- Do not touch the skin frequently
Excessive touching of the face, especially with dirty hands will invite various bacteria to our skin. Even if you want to touch your face or do skincare, wash your hands first!
How easy is it to prevent? As long as we do it regularly, we can guarantee that our skin will be free from oil. Remember Serenitree Squad, your efforts will definitely pay off in the future!
Can Oily Skin Use Moisturizer?
Many people think that if you have oily skin, you don’t need moisturizer. What’s the point, it’s not like our skin is going to dry out right?
It turns out that this thinking is wrong! Oil or sebum produced by the skin is to protect our skin, not to hydrate it. Even though it feels oily, it doesn’t mean it’s well hydrated. Skin hydration is the process by which water is absorbed by the skin layers. Its purpose is to keep the skin elastic, supple, and resistant to damage. Conclusion= Oily skin can still be dehydrated! Without moisturizing, your skin will be prone to premature aging, irritation, and risk of breakouts.
Can you see how important the role of moisturizer is for all skin types? The next thing is to choose the right moisturizer. Different types of moisturizers can be the solution to different skin problems and types. For oily skin, Serenitree suggests a light-textured, easy-to-absorb type of moisturizer. It will not leave a “heavy” or sticky effect after application.
The ingredients in the moisturizer are not random either! The ingredients we recommend include: Hyaluronic acid, glycerin, ceramides, and essential oils like tea tree oil. Also, make sure it doesn’t contain oil or comedogenic ingredients like Wheat Germ Oil and Acetylated Lanolin. With the right moisturizer, our skin will always be well-hydrated without the risk of clogging our pores or triggering oil production! One plus point of that, we can deal with oily skin without fear of dehydration.
Serenitree Squad, do you have oily skin too? Will you try these Serenitree-style tips? The key is our routine and discipline to make our skin problems go away. Along with carrying out these tips, Serenitree also strongly recommends that you consult a dermatologist so that the problem is resolved more quickly and safely. Let’s get moisturized and glowing skin together with Serenitree!