oms choose skincare that is safe and effective?
To find out, make sure to read this article until the end!
The Importance of Paying Attention to the Skincare We Use
As a mom who is pregnant or breastfeeding, being careful in choosing skincare products is key. Why is this important? Nowadays, many skincare products contain chemicals that can pose a risk to the health of the mother and fetus.
We also need to remember that everything we consume and apply will enter and be absorbed into the body. Then the chemicals will reach the fetus through the placenta or into breast milk. This can certainly disrupt the hormonal system, damage fetal development, increase the risk of fetal abnormalities, and many other problems! In addition, choosing skincare that is not suitable for the skin condition of pregnant or breastfeeding mothers can also worsen skin problems or even cause allergic reactions. This can also disrupt the mother’s comfort!
Therefore, to avoid negative risks, it is important to pay attention to safe skincare for pregnant and breastfeeding women!
Avoid these 10 Ingredients, Moms!
How do we choose the right skincare moms? The first thing we have to do is look at the ingredients of the skincare product label. Make sure to avoid these 10 ingredients:
- Oxybenzone: This chemical is often found in sunscreens. Some research suggests that oxybenzone can penetrate the skin and enter the bloodstream. This can certainly harm the fetus!
- Parabens: Parabens are used as preservatives in many cosmetic products. However, there are concerns that parabens can disrupt the hormonal system and affect fetal development.
- Hydroxy Acids (including Glycolic Acid): The use of hydroxy acids in high doses may pose a greater risk of skin irritation in pregnant women due to hormonal changes during pregnancy.
- Retinoids: These substances are generally useful for treating acne and skin aging. However, we should avoid using them during pregnancy as they can cause problems with fetal development.
- Hydroquinone: This ingredient is usually useful for treating skin pigmentation problems, but its use during pregnancy also poses a potential risk to the fetus.
- Benzoyl Peroxide: This ingredient is useful for treating acne. Although the use of benzoyl peroxide in small doses is not harmful, we still have to be careful because it may affect blood flow to the fetus.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: This substance is often found in cleaning products. Its use may cause irritation to sensitive skin during pregnancy.
- Phthalates: Studies have shown that exposure to phthalates during pregnancy can cause reproductive and hormonal problems.
- Salicylic Acid: The use of high doses of salicylic acid (often found in acne skin care products) should be avoided by moms, because it can interfere with fetal development!
- Formaldehyde: This chemical is commonly found in fragrances, polish, or hair care products. Exposure to formaldehyde while pregnant can be a potential risk to the fetus.
These are just 10 of the many skincare ingredients out there! So, it’s important to do more research to choose safe skincare for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers. Additional tips: To be on the safe side, consult your obstetrician and dermatologist and choose products labeled “safe for pregnant women” or “safe for breastfeeding mothers”!
Choose Safe Skincare Ingredients for Pregnant & Breastfeeding Mothers
Surely the process of pregnancy and breastfeeding can make the skin often dry and problematic huh? That’s why we still need to take care of our skin carefully! Take it easy, although there are many ingredients that we should avoid, there are also other alternative ingredients!
- For safe alternative ingredients as moisturizers, we can choose Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter.
- For acne problems, we can turn to natural ingredients full of antioxidants such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Green Tea or Tea Tree Oil.
- To boost skin moisture, choose a serum that contains Grapeseed Oil, Niacinamide, Vitamin B3, and Green Tea Extract.
- Avoid chemical sunscreen! We recommend choosing a sunscreen with Zinc Oxide or Titanium Oxide.
- For face masks, choose natural ingredient options such as Aloe Vera, Papaya, Olive Oil, Avocado, Honey and Yogurt masks.
It turns out that there are also many choices! We can still skincare safely, stay glowing while maintaining our baby’s health too. But remember, do your research and consult a professional first!
Natural Skincare as a Safe Alternative
Although not always, natural skincare can be one of the alternatives during pregnancy and breastfeeding! This is because the formulas tend to be gentler (gentle) and do not contain harmful ingredients. So it’s still effective and safe!
One of the safe skincare brands for pregnant and breastfeeding moms includes Serenitree! Complete with bodycare variants from hand cream to body wash, all our products contain natural ingredients. For example: Shea butter, Vegetable Glycerine, Natural Alpha Arbutin and various essential oils (to provide therapeutic effects and aroma) such as Sweet Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Lavender Oil, Grapefruit Oil and so on. Certainly free from toxic content such as SLS, Phthalates, and Parabens.
Aside from being safe for pregnant and breastfeeding moms, this brand can also be used by children aged 3 years and above and those with sensitive skin! However, we must do our research and do a patch test before use. Again, everyone has different skin conditions, including sensitivity. Keep in mind that we must remain wise for the safety of mom and baby!
For those who are curious, you can read the full content of Serenitree bodycare on our website! Remember to stay healthy, moms!