We can’t deny that pregnancy and breastfeeding are times when we have to be very careful about the use of skincare. Not only skincare, even food, habits, the mother’s mood, and environmental factors also greatly affect the development of the fetus and the growth of our baby! It turns out that as crucial as it is, the fact that what moms consume or use can be absorbed and then have an impact on the content of breast milk. So, today we will discuss how to choose safe skincare for breastfeeding!
Remember moms, choosing the right and safe skincare is very important for the health of mom and baby!
Skincare ingredients can be absorbed through the skin
Skincare absorption does not only apply to pregnant women or mothers, even to people in general when applying a skincare product on the skin, most of the product will be absorbed and enter the bloodstream. The skin is an organ that can absorb certain substances, especially if the ingredients have small molecules that allow them to penetrate the surface layer of the skin. Absorption depends on the chemical properties of the ingredients, the size of the molecules, and the condition and health of the individual’s skin.
Of course, if the skincare we used contains safe ingredients, this will not be a problem and can work optimally to deal with skin problems. But it will be a different story if someone is allergic to an ingredient or for breastfeeding moms because it can affect breast milk for babies. This is why we are always required to do patch tests and research, is the use of this skincare safe for our current condition?
As for if moms are not careful in choosing skincare, the risks that will occur include: Skin irritation and hormone disruption for the mother, as well as allergic reactions and health problems for the baby. This will definitely have a negative impact on both! What can we do to avoid this problem?
Breastfeeding Moms Should Avoid These Ingredients!
The first step for breastfeeding to choose safe skincare is to pay attention to the skincare ingredients. Actually there are still many, but as an example, here are 3 ingredients that we should AVOID:
- Retinol: This is a type of vitamin A that is fat-soluble. This type of vitamin A can accumulate in body fat and overuse can turn it toxic. While there isn’t too much data on its impact on babies, doctors still recommend that we avoid this skincare during pregnancy and breastfeeding. One factor is because it is known that oral retinoids that we take can cause babies to be born with physical defects!
- Parabens: These act as “preservatives” in skincare to prevent mold from forming. However, this ingredient is at risk of disrupting the mother’s hormonal balance because it can resemble the hormone estrogen.
- Oxybenzone: This ingredient can be found in chemical sunscreen products. Some of the risks include irritation and hormone disruption in the mother, as well as allergic reactions in the baby. While using sunscreen is a must, make sure to choose one with safe ingredients!
For more complete information about the content of skincare harmful to pregnant and breastfeeding, you can refer to this Serenitree article.
Choose Safe Skincare Ingredients
Don’t worry, choosing safe skincare isn’t as hard as it seems! There are always safer alternatives to natural ingredients. Some options we can consider are:
- Calendula Extract: This ingredient is derived from marigold flowers and works to soothe the skin, is anti-inflammatory, stimulates skin cell regeneration, and provides relaxation for the skin.
- Vegetable Glycerin: This ingredient is usually derived from vegetable oils and has the ability to draw moisture into the skin. Other benefits include protecting the skin from infection and accelerating wound healing.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is great not only for skin, but for hair and nails too! For those who are experiencing hives, this ingredient can provide relief while softening and increasing the skin barrier safely.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and healthy fatty acids that can improve skin elasticity and leave skin hydrated and soft.
Some of the examples above are natural ingredients that are safer and less risky. Remember, we still have to be vigilant and test before use! It is even better to consult your doctor or skin specialist to avoid negative side effects. After all, even though the ingredients are natural, everyone’s allergies and sensitivities are different.
If you’re interested in trying Sereni-Trees’ natural ingredients that are safe for pregnant women, you can definitely try Serenitree’s bodycare range! Our hand cream, body wash and body lotion are available in “calming” and “brightening” variants. Of course, they are breastfeeding/baby friendly and safe for children aged 3 years (calming variant) to 7 years (brightening variant) and above.
Steps to Choose the Right & Safe Skincare for Breastfeeding Moms
Understanding how to distinguish safe skincare for breastfeeding mothers from products is very important. One of the first steps is to check the label on the skincare product. Products that are safe for breastfeeding mothers often have labels that state “safe for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers”, “no harmful chemicals”, or “hypoallergenic”. In addition, it is also important to check the ingredient list on skincare products and ensure that there are no harmful ingredients that we should avoid during the pregnancy/breastfeeding process.
Choosing skincare products that are safe and friendly to your skin and breastmilk is equally important! Make sure the product has been proven safe through trials and has been thoroughly tested (BPOM registered). Before using the product in its entirety, do a patch test first on a small area of skin to check for possible allergic reactions.
You can also research from trusted resources such as official websites of dermatologists, breastfeeding mom forums, and references from health organizations. That being said, always make sure to verify the authenticity of the source of information before making a decision by consulting a professional!
We need to remember, what we use can be absorbed and affect the content of breast milk! So, by paying attention to these steps, as pregnant women and mothers, we can still maintain healthy skin and baby’s health!