Hi Sereni-Trees, back again on the topic of skin health! Today we will be discussing one of the common problems that can occur, which is, skin allergies. Of course, everyone has tolerance and allergy problems to various ingredients. Did you know, there are more than 3000 ingredients that can cause allergies! That’s why it’s important to know what are the “threats” to our skin and how to handle them. Then there is another crucial statement, can natural ingredients be a “cure” for skin allergies?
Stay tuned to find out!
What is a skin allergy?
Skin allergy is an exaggerated response of the immune system to certain substances that are perceived as a “threat”. This reaction can occur when the skin comes into contact with foreign substances or is exposed to them. Each individual will have a different reaction and it’s not always the same! Symptoms range from rashes, itching, redness/irritation, to swelling and peeling of the skin area.
These symptoms can appear instantly or over time such as 1-2 days later. Remember, some allergies can be fatal! So make sure that we know our bodies better and always be prepared with an allergy “cure” to overcome!
Factors Causing Skin Allergies
The factors that cause allergies are vast! One of them is skincare ingredients. This is one of the reasons why we should always patch tests, especially before using a new skincare product. Other contributing factors include:
- Cosmetics & Skincare: Makeup, lotion, deodorant, soap, shampoo, and hair coloring products.
- Cleanser Products: Floor cleaners, laundry soaps, disinfectants, and detergents. The chemicals in these cleaning products can trigger allergic reactions on the skin especially when in direct contact.
- Medications: Anti-itch creams or antibiotics applied to the skin. It is also possible that the cause comes from medications that we have to take.
- Metal Accessories: Especially those containing nickel.
- Plants & Animal Fur: Both pollen, leaves, and stem parts of certain plants can trigger skin allergies. The same goes for pet fur.
- Latex: Rubber gloves, condoms and balloons.
- Perfume: The scents and chemicals in perfumes can trigger allergic skin reactions, especially in individuals who are sensitive to certain substances in perfumes.
Apparently, allergies can come from anywhere, even from the products we use everyday! But take it easy, we can prevent all of them as long as we know what the causative factors are. How can we do this? Quite simply, we can monitor the symptoms and note the pattern of allergic skin reactions. Another way is to test the skin with a series of tests from a doctor or professional. We can also consult how to prevent and cure allergies according to our skin condition.
Let’s start caring about the health of our skin and always prevent unwanted things before they happen!
How to Prevent & Manage Skin Allergies
Prevention is easier than cure, but just in case, we’ll spill some ways to deal with it too! Firstly, once you have a clear idea of the causative factor, make sure to avoid contact with the triggering ingredient as much as you can. But if you must come into contact with the product, use a protective barrier to prevent direct contact with your skin.
If you are experiencing skin allergies, you can also, based on your doctor’s prescription and your symptoms, use allergy medications such as calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream. Other medical treatments include allergen immunotherapy. This method aims to increase the body’s tolerance to allergens that trigger allergic reactions. The process involves gradually administering very small doses of the allergen to our bodies that are allergic to a substance. For other medical treatments, we can further consult with a professional!
We also have several ways to alleviate the symptoms of skin allergies. We can use loose clothing and soft materials so as not to aggravate the symptoms. Another way is to take a cold shower or compress the skin area with a clean cloth. This can relieve symptoms of inflammation or itching.
Those are some ways that we can try! But if symptoms persist or even get worse, be sure to visit a doctor!
Can Natural Ingredients Act as a Skin Allergy “Cure”?
Natural ingredients have many positive benefits for our skin health. This includes reducing the symptoms of allergies! But to be a “cure” for allergies, it’s not quite right. We should still treat our allergies with specialized medications or appropriate medical treatments.
Therefore, natural ingredients are suitable for allergy prevention and daily skin care. One of the natural bodycare products without SLS, parabens, phthalates, added colors and fragrances, is Serenitree. Some of the natural ingredients of Serenitree bodycare products are beneficial to moisturize, provide protection, reduce signs of premature aging, including relieving symptoms of skin irritation. Here is a sample of the natural ingredients:
- Sweet Almond Oil: Contains vitamin E which is good for the skin, has moisturizing properties and can help relieve dry skin and irritation.
- Sunflower Oil: Full of antioxidants that help keep skin moisturized and reduce inflammation.
- Olive Oil: Has moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Shea Butter: Has strong moisturizing properties and can relieve dry and irritated skin.
- Calendula Extract: Has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that can relieve inflammation and heal small wounds on the skin.
- Vegetable Glycerin: Helps lock in and maintain skin moisture.
- Natural Vitamin E (Tocopherol): Is an antioxidant that can help protect the skin from free radical damage.
- Lemongrass Oil, Lavender Oil, Grapefruit Oil, Bergamot Oil, Jasmine Oil: Has a therapeutic natural aroma and some of them have antiseptic properties.
- Green Tea Extract: Reduces inflammation and helps keep skin healthy.
- Licorice Root, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Natural Alpha Arbutin: Has properties that can help brighten the skin and reduce hyperpigmentation or dark spots on the skin.
Unhealthy skin will be more prone to allergic reactions or other problems. So, if you want to reduce the risk of skin allergies, you should start by maintaining healthy skin and immune system too! Also, don’t delay if the symptoms don’t subside and get worse. Remember that natural ingredients can only help reduce, not cure our allergies!